February 13, 2009

Living In The Back Of My Truck

When I met my wife she had been told some really skewed stories about my character. In an effort to sort the whole matter out she mandated that I secure a different job and housing to prove an ability on my part to provide for a family, (at the time I was living with my parents and working at our family's car dealership.) I moved to a nearby city and set myself up in an apartment. I told her that I would rather save the money that I would be paying for an apartment, and live in my car! She assured me that we would incur less resistance from family if I at least demonstrated a "normal life." I rented a really nice apartment in the city near where I worked. One of very few I have ever lived in.

After we became engaged we started drawing up financials, and we wanted a little more wiggle room on the disposable income issue. I told her that I could buy a little Ford Ranger, put a shell on the back, install a carpet liner kit and live in that during the week while I worked. She said OK. This is by far the best setup that I had for this application. I had the shell built custom without any windows. When it was complete I drilled out the rivets that held the glass window in the back and replaced the glass with a piece of aluminum the same thickness as the glass. It was secure, looked good, and did not lead anyone to believe someone was living in the back.

No comments: