February 13, 2009

Living In A Snowmobile Trailer

In 2004 I began working in the oil field, after having to endure the drug culture there, I concluded it was time to stay in a place of my own while working. I concluded that I needed something similar to a sheep camp. My wife also did not really care to be far from my side, so when she asked me if there was something that we could do to change our financial postioning I told her that we could buy this snowmobile trailer I found, insulate it, then secure partical board to it. I broke my sturnum and some ribs while working on the rigs. We decided it was time to move on and allow my body to heal, we prayed about where we should go next, the answer was Las Vegas. After staying for three months with my Sister who lives down there, we brought our trailer down and lived in it for about 11 months.




It is difficult to see just what we had here, but I made an aluminum shower stall where we could sit with a hot pot of water and sponge bathe. I made a stove from some old pipe I was given on the rig site. I made a vented toilet that brought air inside from outside, then discharged it outside. It ran off of a PCU fan like you have in the back of your computer. It would run for about 3 weeks before the battery would need charging.

Eventually as you can see in this picture we were able to install an air conditioner on the trailer. I remember praying where to put the thing when we moved to Vegas. I was driving West in the city, and said; "Ok Lord, now where?" Immediately I remembered an old air field that appeared to be abandoned west of the city that I drove up on quite suddenly and found myself actually going down the runway. I drove to it and found an area that already had some individuals living similarly. After a breif conversation they told me that they were all moving, and they were selling out. They told me to go and check with one of the local neighbors, and see if they would let me stay on their land. I checked, and he let us stay there for some time. It was peaceful. We had rabbits, coyotes, quail, and most of all we were close to the city, but sat on the outskirts where we could still see the stars.


No comments: