February 13, 2009

The Yurt Project

After living in the steel box, I set out again to find living quarters that would work for moving around frequently, but would not attract so much attention from family. I considered a yurt. It was still a hard sell, but anger was not their first response. Shortly after deciding to build the yurt I started dating my wife. I sat down with a file in my hands containing all my research on yurts and examples of pictures. I told her this was where I was headed and if it was not something she could see herself doing, that we shouldn't pursue a relationship. She remained open minded and we began to draw up floor plans.

I had to cut small trees in secret on my Dad's land because he did not appreciate the idea. He tried to stop me from building the thing, but he owed me money, and I was building it on my Grandfather's land. My Dad was livid when I told him he could not do a thing because it was not being built on his land. Eventually I began to resolve that the portability of the structure was an issue. I needed portability that not even a yurt could provide. I remember when I built the crown, the local steel shop thought I was building a turbine engine. They could not figure out how I was able to space all of the holes around the circle so well. (For those of you who are unfamiliar with what a Yurt is, we have provided an example as shown.) I never finished it. My wife and I have decided to use the walls of the Yurt as a corral of sorts for the animals we plan to procure.

No comments: