February 13, 2009

Married And Living With Your Parents

We have met so many couples pushed into living with family by forces outside their control, and not completely from the recent economic developments. We tried it a few times, talked to some people, and came up with some conclusions. Some families will simply not co-habitate at all!

Four people 6,000 square feet was still not enough space to keep our family conflict at bay! Communication has never been my Dad's strength. In the Fall of 2006 we told my parents we were going to need to move back to our hometown, and would need a place to stay. My Dad related to me that he was going to fix up a building my Mother had for some time into a living quarters, and we could stay there. Before we left Vegas we honestly believed we had secured housing for ourselves and were given the green light by my Dad, however he forgot his offer! It is a consequence of old age. When we arrived we were told by my Mother we could stay in the basement. It however, became immediately known that; my Father was "forced" into allowing us to stay, and that he had "never" agreed to it. Well that provided for rather difficult circumstances and relationships began to deteriorate. My Father did in fact build the mother in law home for my brother who was also in a financial dire strait. It took my wife and I some time before we could find an apartment within our budget, housing was scarce due to an influx of people who had moved into town. Finally an apartment was available and although, it would drain us a little financially, we moved because we saw living in such an unwelcoming and hostile environment was effecting the relationship between my wife and I.

No comments: