February 13, 2009

Living In A Steel Box

I returned home from Las Vegas very sick, and still in need of somewhere to live that was modest. During the week I began working in Salt Lake City. Considering that most of my concerns with living on the streets in a vehicle was safety I began to construct a steel box with a large heavy steel door and significant deadlock. It measured 8' long X 5' wide X 5' high. I was never able to finish insulating the thing before the motor went out on my truck, and I had to quit my job. They were not paying me enough to find an apartment, and would not negotiate until a couple of years later, when they could not find anyone. I remember that I did not need an alarm clock in the morning as the sun crested the mountains, and within 10 minutes elevated the temperature within the box high enough to make me run to the door. I was carrying water to and from work in 4 gallon containers to sponge bath in, and returning home to my parents home on the weekend to shower and get out of the city.

No comments: